Workshop on BENCHMARKING OF HUMAN-LIKE ROBOTIC LOCOMOTION at Humanoids2013

Workshop on BENCHMARKING OF HUMAN-LIKE ROBOTIC LOCOMOTION at Humanoids2013

Diego Torricelli
Apologies for cross-posting

                                                  CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS
                  Workshop on BENCHMARKING OF HUMAN-LIKE ROBOTIC LOCOMOTION

VENUE
Humanoids2013 Conference - Oct 15, 2013, Atlanta (USA)

IMPORTANT DATES
Sept 5 – Two-page abstract submission
Sept 10 – Notification of acceptance
Sept 30 – Final Paper submission
Oct 15 – Workshop day

WEBSITE
www.h2rproject.eu/humanoids2013

MOTIVATION & GOALS
The difficulty in defining standard benchmarks for human-like robots is an acknowledged problem. Benchmarking research is inherently difficult since results are typically reported only for a specific robotic system and a self-chosen set of tasks. This makes it very difficult to compare the results with other systems developed in different labs and tested for different specific tasks. Moreover, there is no clear common view on what benchmarking is and how one should evaluate a system against a particular benchmark.
The recently started EU project H2R “Integrative approach for human-like locomotion” (www.h2rproject.eu) aims to foster the international discussion on benchmarking scheme for bipedal robots, specifically focused on locomotion and posture. The ultimate goal of the project is to define solutions that can be realistically adopted by the scientific community to assess and compare human-like skills of humanoids and walking machines.
If you are a researcher in robotics, gait analysis, musculoskeletal modelling, or neuroscience, and you are interested in answering the questions “What does human-like mean?” and “How can we measure human-likeness?” please participate. We look forward to sharing new ideas with you!

TOPICS
This workshop will cover several aspects related to the assessment of human-like walking and postural skills:
1) Stability. How can human-like stability be effectively measured and described in unperturbed and perturbed conditions?
2) Energy efficiency. How can energy consumption be better estimated and compared across different robotic platforms?
3) Cognitive abilities. To what extent is disturbance prediction and estimation relevant in human-like walking and posture? Which features should be included in the ideal benchmarking scheme?
4) Kinematic complexity. To what extent, and in what conditions, is high-DOF better than low-DOF?
5) Compliant actuation. How can compliance and co-contraction be measured in humans and robots during dynamic conditions?
6) Learning. Can machine learning improve the assessment of human-like features?
7) Qualitative vs quantitative. To what extent quantitative measures really improve the assessment of human-like features?
8) Simulation. Which are the potential and limitations of simulation tools compared to real-life robotic benchmarking?
9) Clinical translational potential. How much can we learn for clinical assessment of human gait? And vice versa, how much can clinical scenarios take advantage of methods used in robotic benchmarking?
10) Challenges. The ideal benchmarking scheme is made of fast, simple, repeatable and reliable procedures that, most importantly, should be applied across different bipedal machines. How far are we to this ambitious goal? To this aim, what kind of competitions can be envisioned? What can we learn from existing competitions?

To encourage the discussion, oral presentations will be interspersed with activities to stimulate the debate between the attendees. We are open to include any other topic or aspect that may be relevant. Please send us a list of questions or new topics, we will be happy to prepare a debate on your inputs. For more details about this workshop, please visit our website: www.h2rproject.eu/humanoids2013

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE
If you wish to participate, please send a two-page abstract by Sept 5 to diego.torricelli@csic.es. Notification of acceptance will be given by Sept 10. All accepted contributions will be orally presented during the workshop, to be held on October 15.
Please note that the Humanoids 2013 conference policy requires that all the presenters of the workshop must register for the conference (http://www.humanoids2013.com/).

Best Regards

ORGANIZERS:
Diego Torricelli, Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
Jose Luis Pons, Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)