[robotics-worldwide] [Meetings] CfP: ACM SIGCHI IDC2018 Workshop on Child-Robot Interaction
ACM SIGCHI IDC2018
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
ACM SIGCHI IDC2018 (Interaction Design and Children) Workshop
Title: The Near Future of Children's Robotics
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Date: 19 June 2018
We are please to invite you to participate in our full-day workshop on Child-Robot Interaction at the ACM SIGCHI IDC 2018, in Trondheim, Norway.
Submission deadline: April 15th, 2018
This full-day workshop aims to bring together researchers from all disciplinary backgrounds who are working on Child-Robot Interaction and on the design of Children's Robotics in order to reflect on the current state of this young field and to consider its 3-5 year "near future" outlook.
We invite submissions addressing any of the following topics:
* Reflections on recent or in-progress work and how it illuminates one or more current or near-future potentials and challenges for Child-Robot Interaction as a field.
* Exploration of a specific theory, methodology, or practice in current Child-Robot Interaction research, and its perceived potential (or shortcomings) as a tool to meet future challenges in this area.
* Is there (or can there be) a unified field of 'child-robot interaction' across disciplines? What does that mean for future work that includes both children and robots?
Specific topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Child-robot interaction and child development
- Design of autonomous systems for child-robot interaction
- Child-Robot Interaction design challenges
- Considerations for designing robots for special children
- Robots in formal education
- Physical robots as supportive tools for children's computational and creative thinking development
- Robot supported child-child interaction
- Generative methods to include children into the deign of robots
- Long-term child-robot interaction
- Theories and methods for the evaluation child-robot interaction
- Robots for learning
- Personalization and adaptation algorithms for long-term child-robot interaction
- Autonomy and transparency in child-robot interaction
- Robots as educational agents
- Ethical considerations regarding child-robot interaction
- Child privacy in long-term child-robot interaction
April 15th, 2018: Deadline for submission of extended abstract
April 25th, 2018: Acceptance notification
April 30th, 2018: Deadline for final submission of extended abstract
June 19th, 2018: Workshop at IDC 2018
Submissions should include a brief overview of the project(s) and comment specifically on the disciplinary perspective(s) represented (e.g., a team with education and engineering perspectives). Submissions on theories or methodologies should also briefly describe these.
Submission should be 2-4 pages in SIGCHI extended abstract format: SIGCHI templates. Please use the 2016 version.
All accepted position papers will be compiled into workshop proceedings, archived on arXiv.
At least one author of each accepted submission is required to attend the workshop. Participants must register for both the workshop and at least one day of the IDC conference.
Interaction Design and Children (IDC) is the premiere international conference for researchers and practitioners to share the latest research findings, new technologies and innovative methodologies in the areas of inclusive child-centered design, interaction and learning. The annual conference incorporates papers, presentations, speakers, workshops, participatory design experiences and discussions on how to create better interactive experiences for children.
Vicky Charisi, European Commission, JRC, Center for Advanced Studies
Alyssa M. Alcorn, UCL Institute of Education, UK
James Kennedy, Disney Research, USA
Wafa Johal, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
Paul Baxter, Lincoln University, UK
Chronis Kynigos, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece