[robotics-worldwide] Open position in robotics

[robotics-worldwide] Open position in robotics

Alan C. Schultz
The Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence (NCARAI) at the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) in Washington DC is looking for a roboticist to join our team.  NCARAI performs basic and applied research in a wide range of projects in autonomy and AI, including intelligent robots, human-robot interaction, embedded cognition, cognitive robotics, life-long learning, spatial cognition, audition, and multi-modal (natural language and gesture) interaction. Our team is multidisciplinary and includes cognitive scientists, psychologists, computational linguists, roboticists, and computer scientists.

We have outstanding facilities and resources. Robot platforms include: three MDS anthropomorphic robots (Octavia, Lucas and Isaac), each with highly expressive heads and torsos with close to 50 DOF; ten ASCTEC Pelican quadrotors; eight Pioneer platforms; an iRobot/RWI B21r; a Segway robot; two RWI ATRV Jrs; and others. We also have a great selection of sensors, from Swiss Rangers to Ladybugs.

Of particular excitement is our new 50,000 square foot facility, the Laboratory for Autonomous Systems Research, which has unique environmental high bays and laboratories for experimentation. The hallmark is a 150’x75’x30’ reconfigurable high bay, which will has full motion capture coverage over the entire space, floodable areas and many more features to support state-of-the-art research. Other environments within our new facility include: a live-growth tropical rain forest; a desert environment with rock walls; a littoral environment (which includes a 25’ x 50’ pool with an adjustable slope on one end and wave generators on the other end for creating surf conditions); and an outdoor highland forest environment with water features and “box canyons” built out of boulders. Our new machine shop is very well equipped and includes plastic prototyping machines and 3D printers.

We need someone with a broad range of skills related to robotics, preferably including experience in working with, maintaining, and modifying robot platforms, experience with writing software for robot platforms, integrating sensors, and knowledge of areas within artificial intelligence. This is a mid-level position, perfect for a M.S., although we will consider other combinations of education and experience.  Position requires U.S. citizenship. NRL is an equal opportunity employer.

If you are interested in working as part of a world-class research team, please contact Alan Schultz ([hidden email]) and Greg Trafton ([hidden email]).

For more details about NRL and our research:
http://www.nrl.navy.mil
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/aic/
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/aic/iss/

For more details on our new facility:
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/lasr/

Alan C. Schultz
Director, Laboratory for Autonomous Systems Research
Director, Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence

Naval Research Laboratory
Code 5510
Washington DC  20375
(202) 767-2684     fax: (202) 767-3172