[robotics-worldwide] Reminder: Summer School on "Autonomous Micro Aerial Vehicles: Design, Perception, and Control" Deadline for applications: April 15

[robotics-worldwide] Reminder: Summer School on "Autonomous Micro Aerial Vehicles: Design, Perception, and Control" Deadline for applications: April 15

Davide Scaramuzza
Dear colleagues,

I would like to remind that the deadline for sending the applications is
April 15.
See again below the call for participation.

Best regards,
Davide Scaramuzza

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On behalf of the Autonomous Systems Lab, I have the pleasure to cordially
invite you to the following summer school at ETH Zurich from July  4th
through July  8th, 2011:
"Autonomous Micro Aerial Vehicles: Design, Perception, and Control"
For more info and applications:
http://www.roboticsschool.ethz.ch/sfly-summerschool

The school is designed for graduate students of all levels. However, a solid
background in engineering will enable you to profit most from the lectures
and exercises.  In the courses, we seek to take your existing engineering
skills and extend them to the most important fundamentals in this thrilling
field.  We will show you the current state of the art in each area, and
expose you to inspiring researchers from all over the world. To this end,
the school will feature five full days of tutorials, lectures and hands-on
exercises, and several case studies which will be presented by
internationally recognized experts in the field.

Speakers:
• Roland Siegwart, ETH - ASL
• Raffaello D’Andrea, ETH - IDSC
• Vijay Kumar, U-PENN
• Nathan Michael, U-PENN
• Marc Pollefeys, ETH - CVG
• Davide Scaramuzza, ETH - ASL
• Samir Bouabdallah, ETH - ASL
• Stefan Leutenegger, ETH - ASL
• Margarita Chli, ETH - ASL
• Friedrich Fraundorfer, ETH - CVG
• Sergei Lupashin, ETH - IDSC
• Angela Schöllig, ETH - IDSC
• Markus Hehn, ETH - IDSC
• Markus Achtelik, ETH - ASL
• Laurent Kneip, ETH - ASL

Application
________________________

Participation is limited to 60 students.  Candidates will be selected based
on the quality of their application.  Please state on one single page (11pt
font):
• your scientific background and degree
• your motivation to come to this school
• the topic of your thesis
• any prior knowledge in the field
• Please include a current academic transcript with your application (and
• optionally a CV with a list of publications) and send it to

Contact
________________________
[hidden email], subject "summer school application"

Deadline for the application is April 15th, 2011.  Successful candidates
will be notified by April 22th and need to register and pay the course-fee
by May 6.

Logistics
________________________

Cost:
The cost for the summer school is 300 CHF.
This will cover all course materials, as well as breakfast, coffee-breaks,
and two dinners during the school. Lunch and dinner is available at the
ETH-Cafeterias and in nearby venues from ~15 CHF (including a drink). For
the whole week, we put the additional living
expenses at around CHF 200.

Accommodation:
We will provide basic accommodation for all participants in a remodeled
former air-raid shelter in the basement of the Computer Science building (no
windows).  This is right next door to the course venue, and will feature
dormitory style rooms with shared bathrooms. Pillows, blankets, and sheets
will be provided.  This accommodation will be free of charge for all
participants.  It will be open from Sunday evening to Saturday morning, to
accommodate travel that requires an additional night in Zurich. If more
privacy and comfort is desired, students must organize alternative
accommodation on their own responsibility and expense (double rooms in
Zurich start at around 65 CHF per night and person).

Organizers
________________________

The schools are organized by the Autonomous Systems Lab (
http://www.asl.ethz.ch/) in collaboration with:
• The ETH Master programm in Robotics, Systems and Control
http://www.mavt.ethz.ch/education/master/rob_sys_contr
• The Swiss NCCR Robotics http://www.nccr-robotics.ch/
• The EU-Project sFly http://www.sfly.org
• The International Alliance of Research Universities
http://www.iaruni.org/index
• The Institute for Dynamic Systems and Control http://www.idsc.ethz.ch/

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact:

--

Dr. Davide Scaramuzza
Technical manager of the European project sFly: www.sfly.org
GRASP Lab — www.grasp.upenn.edu