Department: Applied Research
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures state-of-the-art robot-assisted systems for use in minimally-invasive surgery. These systems are revolutionizing the way in which surgery is being done and offer a unique platform—that is being used routinely at hospitals worldwide—for exploring the potential of digital surgery. Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Must be concurrently enrolled in a degree-seeking program with an accredited university or enrolled in an upcoming program in the fall.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a summer intern to join the Research team. The intern will assist in the implementation, documentation, and testing of the next generation product development environments.
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Development and evaluation of high quality prototype concepts.
· Development of novel Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR) concepts to integrate with future products.
· Development of a modular software framework to explore various AR and MR concepts on display technologies from various vendors.
· Perform usability testing and generate reports that help guide the future development.
· Computer science, Mechatronics, or Robotics focus.
· Exposure to Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) or Mixed Reality (MR) concepts, hardware, and tools.
· A good working knowledge with Unity, C, C++, UWP, Visual studio tools.
· Hands on experience with in developing server client applications using TCP, UDP, broadcast and discovering protocols.
· Hands on experience in developing applications using spatial mapping, shared experience and handing shared coordinates.
· Hands on experience in developing 3D visualization apps for prep-op imaging data.
· Experience in integrating third-party software libraries into custom applications.
· Strong math and analytical skills. Knowledge of linear algebra, computer graphics and computational robotics.
· Hands-on engineering skills with a proven ability to work well in a team environment.
· Self-starter and able to work in a collaborative and results oriented environment.
· Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral) with the team.
· Gain experience in research and evaluation of novel AR and MR concepts for computer-assisted surgical systems.
· Gain hands-on experience with a robot-assisted surgery platform while integrating and testing prototype technologies.
Commitment: Must be available to work full-time hours, M-F for 10-12 weeks beginning Summer of 2019.
Simon DiMaio, Ph.D.
Director, Applied Research | Intuitive Surgical, Inc. |
1266 Kifer Road, Sunnyvale, CA, USA | tel 408.523.2309 | www.intuitive.com