ABB Corporate Research is developing the foundations for the next and future generations of ABB products. The US arm of ABB Corporate Research (USCRC) shares worldwide research and development responsibility for several important technology areas, including robotics and other mechatronics contexts.
This is an R&D position developing and testing robotics and mechatronics technology for next-generation ABB products. In this capacity you will work with mechatronics specialists who have a wide range of experiences and competencies, including but not limited to industrial and service robots, mechanics, user-interface design, sensors, etc. Your duties and tasks:
- Develop and implement advanced technologies for ABB products
- Maintain knowledge of the state-of-the-art and emerging technologies in the areas of industrial and service robots
- Generate intellectual property and write scientific publications
The candidate shall have:
- Strong background in robotics
- Strong background in mechanics
- Proficiency with CAD software
- Experience with building prototypes
- Additionally, experience with machine vision, machine learning and/or electronics is a plus
- Ability to interact effectively with a global team and in culturally diverse environments
- Excellent skills in supporting technological change by fast learning
- Effective speaking, presenting and written communication skills
- Credibility/accountability in delivering on quality and schedule commitments
- Demonstrated use of creativity and innovation in creating new technology and solutions
Education and other requirements:
Applicant should have a PhD, or a Masters degree and 2+ years of experience, in robotics or mechanical engineering or related areas.
The close collaboration with the different R&D departments of ABB Businesses and other Corporate Research Labs requires the candidate be willing to travel both domestically and internationally.