[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Research Internship Opening on “3D Perception and Learning for Humanoid Robot Locomotion/Manipulation” at the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT), Genoa
*Fellow Junior (Research Internship) Opening on “3D Perception and Learning for Humanoid Robot Locomotion/Manipulation” at the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT), Genoa*
*Where:* Humanoids and Human-Centred Mechatronics Lab (HHCM), Department of Advanced Robotics (ADVR) at the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT), Genoa, Italy.
*Starting Date: * As soon as possible; June-July 2018 (preferable)
*Deadline:* April 30, 2018 (a FCFS policy will be followed in the evaluation of the applications until a suitable candidate is appointed)
*Duration:* 4-5 months with potential follow up enrollment to continue for PhD studies.
*Potential Topics (one should be selected):*
-- "3D Perception and Learning for Legged Robot Navigation: rough terrain locomotion (vision and path planning) using geometric and machine learning techniques"
-- “3D Perception and (Deep) Learning for Humanoid Robot Tool Manipulation: detection, localization, and use”
*Tutors:* Dr. Dimitrios Kanoulas, Dr. Nikos Tsagarakis
*Contacts:* [hidden email], [hidden email]
The Humanoids and Human Centred Mechatronics Lab at the Department of Advanced Robotics of the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) (an English language Institute, placed in Genoa) is seeking a fully funded 4-5 months research intern (Msc should have been completed), with a strong ambition to pursue a research career, to work on one of our EU-funded *WALK-MAN* (www.walk-man.eu, video: youtu.be/kZzwVwzAWME, video: youtu.be/7UectbjusCI), *CogIMon* (cogimon.eu), and/or *CENTAURO* (www.centauro-project.eu) humanoid robots.
1. *To be eligible, you must have recently (at most 6 months) completed a Masters degree, or expect to complete soon.*
2. A background in any of *Robotics, Computer/Robotic Vision, Path Planning, Robot Learning* is desirable.
3. Ideal applicants should have strong *C++ (Python and Matlab are a plus)* programming skills.
4. *Machine learning and computer vision* skills are required.
5. Knowledge of the *Robot Operating System (ROS)* and the *Point Cloud Library (PCL)* is a very big plus.
6. The applicants should be fluent in English and team players.
-- Legged Robot Navigation
1. Kanoulas et. al., "Vision-Based Foothold Contact Reasoning using Curved Surface Patches", Humanoids 2017.
2. Kanoulas et. al., "Footstep Planning in Rough Terrain for Bipedal Robots using Curved Contact Patches", ICRA 2018.
-- Humanoid Robot Tool Manipulation
1. Kanoulas et. al. “Center-of-Mass-Based Grasp Pose Adaptation Using 3D Range and Force/Torque Sensing”, IJHR 2018.
2. Nguyen et. al., "Object-Based Affordances Detection with Convolutional Neural Networks and Dense Conditional Random Fields", IROS 2017.
The applicants should submit their *CV* electronically outlining experience and qualifications, a *short statement (max 1 page)* about the research areas of interest as well as the names of *two referees* to Dimitrios.Kanoulas@iit (cc-ed [hidden email]), quoting [HHCM-INTERNSHIP] in the email subject (total email size should not exceed 1MB).
Best Regards --
Dimitrios Kanoulas, Ph.D.
Humanoids and Human-Centred Mechatronics Lab (HHCM)
Dept. of Advanced Robotics (ADVR)
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT-Genova)
Via Morego 30,Genova 16163, Italy