[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 1st Workshop on Proximity at IROS18: Final Program and Highlights

[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 1st Workshop on Proximity at IROS18: Final Program and Highlights

Stefan Escaida Navarro
Dear Robotics community,

with just a week ahead of our “1st Workshop on Proximity Perception in
Robotics” at IROS 2018 we want to draw your attention to the final
program and some of its highlights. The confirmed speakers are:

Joshua R. Smith (University of Washington)
"A unified Sensor for Pre-Touch, Touch and Post-Touch Force Measurement"

Matthias Brandl (Infineon AG)
Topic: “Ultra Short Range Radar for Human-Machine Interaction”

Hubert Zangl (Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt)
Topic: “Near Field Tomography in Proximity Perception”

Gordon Cheng (TU Munich)
Topic: “Making the best of Pretouch”

Nathan Lepora (University of Bristol)
Topic: “Biomimetic Tactie Sensing and Haptics”

Keysuke Koyama (The University of Tokio)
Topic: “Reactive Control for High-Speed Grasping using Optical Proximity
Sensors”

Robert Haschke (Bielefeld University)
Topic: “Tactile Servoing Algorithms for Manipulation and Object Exploration”

Björn Hein (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)
Topic: “Sensor Technology and Algorithms for Flexible Proximity and
Tactile Perception”

Among the highlights of this workshop is the presentation by Infineon AG
about their Ultra Short Range Radar technology. So far (Ultra Short
Range) Radar has not played a significant role in Perception and
Human-Robot Interaction, but it is in fact one of the exciting new
technologies that will most likely find their way into our community.
You will be able to gain first-hand insights during the talk by Matthias
Brandl of Infineon and hands-on experience during the demo session.

The poster and demo session as a whole is also definitely a highlight,
since diverse emerging Tactile and Proximity Perception technologies
from research and industry are presented: Capacitive, Infra-Red, Radar
and Pneumatic. The posters and demos are planned just before the break,
allowing you to continue your discussions with peers and presenters over
a coffee immediately after the session. For further information
(program, abstracts, demos, etc.), please visit our homepage:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__proxelsandtaxels.org_en_&d=DwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=iHl9SbPQ9aPBK3gZA-54b7_qwPbbi80vAU73gEuBzhE&s=TC-U3LIjr0dxsEFFX8IgTzV4o679r9LUIWHPablj-Us&e=

We are excited to meet you at our workshop on the 1st of October at
IROS18 in Madrid!

Kind regards,

Stefan (for the organizing team)

--
Stefan Escaida Navarro (Postdoctoral Researcher)
INRIA Lille-Nord Europe