[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 3rd Call for Participation for 1st Workshop on Proximity Perception in Robotics at IROS 2018

[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 3rd Call for Participation for 1st Workshop on Proximity Perception in Robotics at IROS 2018

Stefan Escaida Navarro

Dear robotics community,

Proximity Perception is an emerging field in robotics in which novel hardware and methods are investigated. Proximity Perception is characterized, among others, by the fact that many diverse measurement principles (optical, radar, capacitive, etc.) are featured. The research activities in this field reach into domains such as safe human-robot interaction (HRI) as well as object exploration and manipulation. The goal of the workshop is to bring together the community in the hopes to be the first in a series of events around this topic.

The workshop is aimed at the broad robotics community. On the one hand it features talks by key researchers of the field, who will provide valuable insights due to their experience. On the other hand the program features a demo session, which will make it easy for newcomers to the field to understand the capabilities of the different sensors systems and algorithms.

In this sense our workshop is especially attractive for people working in Tactile Perception and Haptics who are looking for novel input to their field. No touch event can happen without a prior pretouch event and therefore Proximity Perception is a natural complement for Tactile Perception. In fact, recently, many multi-modal sensors for robotic skins including these modalities have been proposed. These sensors are now beginning to impact the research on Human Robot Interaction (HRI), Haptic Object Recognition, Haptic Exploration, etc. Together with the demo session we are organizing a poster session to present results from the different research groups around the world. Please follow this link for the Call for Papers:

[ https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.proxelsandtaxels.org_en_demo-2Dand-2Dposter-2Dsession_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=WHw66YRgnoTsJcR9Ze8L-36OEgTaogIO1jAxj9dXh3U&s=rfXdu2zVTTCLHnOBiH3OvKD_O5o3Y55LgXvlipB3-Tk&e= | www.proxelsandtaxels.org/en/demo-and-poster-session/  ] [ https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.proxelsandtaxels.org_en_demo-2Dand-2Dposter-2Dsession_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=WHw66YRgnoTsJcR9Ze8L-36OEgTaogIO1jAxj9dXh3U&s=rfXdu2zVTTCLHnOBiH3OvKD_O5o3Y55LgXvlipB3-Tk&e= | (updated submission deadline for papers is 10th of August!) ]

For the full program featuring the confirmed talks and demos as well as additional information please visit our updated website:

[ https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.proxelsandtaxels.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=WHw66YRgnoTsJcR9Ze8L-36OEgTaogIO1jAxj9dXh3U&s=iAcWb4UB9wpzuNqZVseqgz_6MSDBkeqlB6mf0yb1BCk&e= | www.proxelsandtaxels.org ]

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to drop us an email. We look forward to meet you at our workshop!

Best wishes,

Stefan (for the organizing team)
--
Stefan Escaida Navarro (PostDoc)