[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CFP for HRI 2018 Workshop on Social Robots in therapy: focusing on autonomy and Ethical Challenges (SREC18)

[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CFP for HRI 2018 Workshop on Social Robots in therapy: focusing on autonomy and Ethical Challenges (SREC18)

Pablo Gómez VUB
**Our apologies for multiple postings**

Call for Submissions to the full-day HRI 2018 Workshop on Social Robots in
therapy: focusing on autonomy and Ethical Challenges (SREC18)

05 March 2018, Chicago, Illinois (USA)
*website*: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_view_srec18_home&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=ZWqq148S3f1UPONm8_I7CskZSVnxuDMuZwzlVPio6Jk&s=NSWrnuohD9AaAawsAsV6CT8Sl92f3Hjjdv21nOgNZuM&e=

Submission link
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__easychair.org_account_signin.cgi-3Fkey-3D62388210.CbYnE6UepVv05GHx-3Btimeout-3D1&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=ZWqq148S3f1UPONm8_I7CskZSVnxuDMuZwzlVPio6Jk&s=8d4O4Iu3yjzVtgdAb5SGC4ISyaJ6P3Lg6QdPEY_b_NU&e=>.
Check the workshop website periodically for updates.

ABSTRACT

The 1st workshop on Social Robots in Therapy: Focusing on Autonomy and
Ethical Challenges, will be held in Chicago, USA on Monday, March
5, 2018 in conjunction with the 2018 ACM/IEEE International Conference on
Human-Robot Interaction <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__humanrobotinteraction.org_2018_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=ZWqq148S3f1UPONm8_I7CskZSVnxuDMuZwzlVPio6Jk&s=UU53PwPcUtevYaRQ6IvwuRayjAooAv_rFdmLE3F2b88&e=>.

Robot-Assisted Therapy (RAT) has successfully been used in Human-Robot
Interaction (HRI) research by including social robots in health-care
interventions by virtue of their ability to engage human users in both
social and emotional dimensions. Research projects on this topic exist all
over the globe in the USA, Europe, and Asia. All of these projects have the
overall ambitious goal of increasing the well-being of a vulnerable
population. Typical, RAT is performed with the Wizard-of-Oz (WoZ)
technique, where the robot is controlled, unbeknownst to the patient, by a
human operator. However, WoZ has been demonstrated to not be a sustainable
technique in the long-term. Providing the robots with autonomy (while
remaining under the supervision of the therapist) has the potential to
lighten the therapist’s burden, not only in the therapeutic session itself
but also in longer-term diagnostic tasks. Therefore, there is a need for
exploring several degrees of autonomy in social robots used in therapy.
Increasing the autonomy of robots might also bring about a new set of
challenges. In particular, there will be a need to answer new ethical
questions regarding the use of robots with a vulnerable population, as well
as a need to ensure ethically-compliant robot behaviors. Therefore, in this
workshop, we want to gather findings and explore which degree of autonomy
might help to improve health-care interventions and how we can overcome the
ethical challenges inherent to it.

TARGET AUDIENCE AND TOPICS

Students of all levels pursuing research in a field related to Human-Robot
interaction should consider applying.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

   - shared or full autonomy in robots in therapy,
   - adaptive mechanisms for robots used in therapy,
   - engagement in therapeutic human-robot interaction,
   - ethical systems and challenges for robots in therapy,
   - identified user needs at home and in-patient care facilities,
   - acceptance studies on social robots used in therapy,
   - patient-centered HRI studies,
   - long-term therapeutic interaction studies,
   - clinical validation of robot-assisted therapies.

IMPORTANT DATES

*Jan 26th, 2018 (11:59 PM PT): Submission DeadlineFeb 9th, 2018:
Notification of acceptanceFeb 23rd, 2018: Camera-ready deadline*

SUBMISSION

Workshop candidates are requested to send a 1-2 page abstract before
January 26th about a research related to the topics described above using
this link <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__easychair.org_conferences_-3Fconf-3Dsrec18&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=ZWqq148S3f1UPONm8_I7CskZSVnxuDMuZwzlVPio6Jk&s=8mmai6Rj8Al_8H2OmW6cK3mtwdNZuAM33GosfcFAjzM&e=>.

In particular, the abstract should cover:

   - a main research question or motivation of the work,
   - background and related work,
   - the research approach,
   - results (if any), and a description of future work.

We explicitly encourage the submission of papers describing work in
progress or containing preliminary results to discuss with the community.

All manuscripts must be submitted in PDF format using this link
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__easychair.org_conferences_-3Fconf-3Dsrec18&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=ZWqq148S3f1UPONm8_I7CskZSVnxuDMuZwzlVPio6Jk&s=8mmai6Rj8Al_8H2OmW6cK3mtwdNZuAM33GosfcFAjzM&e=> and will be peer-reviewed
based on relevance to the workshop. A template can be found here
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.acm.org_publications_proceedings-2Dtemplate&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=ZWqq148S3f1UPONm8_I7CskZSVnxuDMuZwzlVPio6Jk&s=aCyPndsDkrYHCTrW_0-POq55SOLDF6t3vsek6jzn9Ew&e=>. Please use the
sample-sigconf.tex or ACM_SigConf.docx files.

ORGANIZERS

   - Pablo Gomez Esteban - Robotics and Multibody mechanics, Vrije
   Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
   - Daniel Hernández García - Centre for Robotics and Neural Systems,
   Plymouth University, Plymouth, UK
   - Hee Rin Lee - Computer Science and Engineering, UC San Diego, USA
   - Pauline Chevalier - HMI, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands
   - Paul Baxter - Lincoln Centre for Autonomous Systems, University of
   Lincoln, Lincoln, UK.
   - Cindy L. Bethel - Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
   Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, Mississippi, USA

 --
Dr. Pablo Gómez Esteban ([hidden email])
Robotics and Multibody mechanics Lab,