[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Papers: R:SS 2018 Workshop on Multi-Modal Perception and Control

[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Papers: R:SS 2018 Workshop on Multi-Modal Perception and Control

Filipe Veiga
******************

R:SS 2018 Workshop on Multi-Modal Perception and Control

Date: 29th of June 2018

Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

Workshop Url: sites.google.com/view/mmpc2018/home

******************

--------------------

Workshop Description

--------------------

Humans perform their daily tasks by making use and integrating the diverse
information from all five senses. As robotics research tackles increasingly
complex problems, robots are required to perform a variety of tasks in more
diverse and unstructured environments where interactions with the
environment often cannot be accurately and completely modeled. To
successfully complete tasks such as driving safely on a road, cleaning a
cluttered kitchen or manipulating objects in-hand, the use of several
sensing modalities can be beneficial or even necessary. Using multiple
sensing modalities can lead to a better understanding of the robots
environment, with some sensing modalities capturing information for which
other modalities are inaccurate or non-informative. However, the manner in
which the information is extracted from each modality and fused together
can greatly influence the end results.

In this workshop, we focus on both theoretical understanding and practical
engineering of robotic systems using multiple sensing modalities. This
focus translates into questions such as:

   -

   How do we decide what sensor modalities are relevant for a specific task?
   -

   How do we efficiently make use of multiple sensing modalities?
   -

   How to use learning to integrate high-dimensional sensory inputs into
   control?
   -

   Can we take inspiration from the way that humans solve multi-sensory
   integration?

We gather experts in the fields of machine learning, robotics, autonomous
driving and neuroscience that have performed work across multiple sensing
modalities such as touch, vision, depth, sound and LIDAR, and have
experienced both the benefits and difficulties of using multiple modalities.

--------------------

Submission Topics and Guidelines

--------------------

We welcome submissions regarding any robotics application where multiple
sensing modalities are used. As we aim to encourage meaningful discussion
in the field, work that is unpublished, recently published or under review
can be accepted for presentation depending on the novelty, significance and
contributions of the work to the workshop theme.

We solicit contributions in the form of extended abstracts (min 2 pages,
max 4 pages) in RSS paper format (author information available here
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.roboticsconference.org_information_authorinfo_&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=p_FWF4RtWzziztQ_yY3ppSO8NLfVkMssbBI8ErI5Zm0&s=MTLXfuEkNBmuuIpE6Ql1e6Zt-kptKSVFt6akV4jA3qo&e=>), to be
presented at the workshop as posters.

Outstanding contributions might be selected for oral presentations.

Accepted papers and eventual supplementary material will be made available
on the workshop website. However, this does not constitute an archival
publication and no formal workshop proceedings will be made available,
meaning contributors are free to publish their work in archival journals or
conference.

Submissions can be made at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__cmt3.research.microsoft.com_MMPC2018&d=DwIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=p_FWF4RtWzziztQ_yY3ppSO8NLfVkMssbBI8ErI5Zm0&s=mhSRB70CMksHGYhDiSWj2NO7-r_EhTCGUW33DRXdj1I&e=

--------------------

Relevant Dates

--------------------

21th of May 2018  - Submission Deadline

1st of June  2018 - Decision Notification

27th of June  2018 - Camera ready version (Including Poster)

29th of June 2018 - Workshop

Anywhere on earth times.

Organizers

Filipe Veiga