[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Extended Deadline for Abstract Submission - IROS Workshop on Shared Autonomy

[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Extended Deadline for Abstract Submission - IROS Workshop on Shared Autonomy

Malte Schilling
Dear Colleagues,

Due to multiple requests: for our workshop on Shared Autonomy at IROS (Vancouver, on the 28th of September) we will extend the deadline for extended abstract submissions until the end of the month.

There are already a nice number of contributions, but we will still welcome further submissions and current results.

New Deadline for Abstract Submission
Aug 31, 2017 - notification will be given until Sept 4, 2017

For further information, see below and see the website containing more information as a continuously updated schedule: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__aiweb.techfak.uni-2Dbielefeld.de_iros2017-5Fworkshop-5Fshared-5Fautonomy_&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=A0yBft8mhKD9ENBDKoy1ZZxFd5lAlSRQW8KUs3GZyEs&s=xb9xtWj9lYsOBetlKic_kpvnq2-rtdqselvX47WIv4w&e=

With best regards,

        malte schilling

Dr. rer. nat. Malte Schilling
Cognitive Interaction Technology - Center of Excellence
Bielefeld University, Postfach 100131, D-33501 Bielefeld

2017 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems
Vancouver, CA

Workshop on Shared Autonomy — Joint Learning in Human-Robot Collaboration
Full day workshop on September 28

As more and more robots are introduced into our everyday life and workspaces, we find new ways in which they can provide support in many different tasks. In such increasingly hybrid environments, our interactions with robots and other virtual agents will increase. This will require novel forms of cooperation and collaboration. Robots should learn to adapt to our needs over long timescales and should help free us of tedious tasks. This will require autonomous robots that don’t need detailed instruction, but will operate freely within boundary conditions that specify high level goals.

Shared Autonomy focuses on how autonomous systems can successfully interact and shape each other’s autonomy spaces. It is about how two or more autonomous agents mediate how they individually and jointly can contribute, on the one hand, to an overarching goal, but also, on the other hand, to their individual goals. The workshop aims, first, at addressing the underlying theoretical issues and potential models. Secondly, the main focus of the workshop is on the realization of such models in robotic systems and in answering the question how such systems can successfully realize collaboration between humans and robots.

TOPICS OF INTEREST
--------------------------------
        - Shared Control in collaborative human-robot tasks
        - Learning and adaptation of coordination patterns in agents
        - Discussion on the concept and possible extensions of Shared Autonomy
        - Representations for collaboration in HRI (intentions, goals, …)
        - Shared decision making
        - Learning and modelling human-robot interaction, human instructions and collaborative behavior
        - Transfer and incremental learning in cooperative tasks and in multi-agent systems
        - Estimating the state and beliefs of other agents
        - Predicting actions and/or motions of other agents

The workshop is organized by Prof. Wolfram Burgard (University of Freiburg), Przemyslaw “Pem” Lasota (MIT), Prof. Helge Ritter (Bielefeld University), Dr. Malte Schilling (Bielefeld University), Associate Prof. Julie A. Shah (CSAIL, MIT), and Prof. Britta Wrede (Bielefeld University).

OVERVIEW PROGRAM
--------------------------------
Overall, the workshop aims at a multidisciplinary perspective on key aspects and challenges of Shared Autonomy. Therefore, the presentations will reflect the diversity of approaches and topics as well as there will be ample time for discussion. A poster session will offer participants further chance to contribute their perspectives and work.

Confirmed Speakers:
        - Anticipatory Movements of a 3rd hand in HRC
                Jan Peters and Guilherme Maeda
        - Learning complex motor tasks from humans
                Katharina Muelling
        - Collaborative human-robot lifting and handover tasks
                Elizabeth Croft
        - Learning manipulation and interaction
                Siddharta Srinivasa
        - Coordinating Interaction on different levels in Shared Autonomy
                Helge Ritter
        - Shared Mental Models for Human-Robot Teaming
                Julie A. Shah
        - Sharing Space – Navigation in Crowds
                Wolfram Burgard

SUBMISSION
Participants are invited to submit a contribution (via email: [hidden email]) as an extended abstract (maximum 2 pages in length, following the IEEE conference style in two-columns). Contributions will be reviewed and selected by the organizers.

The workshop contributions will appear as online proceedings on the workshop webpage. In addition, contributors to the workshop will be invited to submit extended versions of the manuscripts to a special issue (more information to follow).

The accepted abstracts will be presented in a poster session. We want to give researchers a chance to present their (ongoing) work. But we also want to provide a forum for relevant work that has recently been published in journals and other conferences.

Abstracts will be reviewed by the organizers.

IMPORTANT DATES