[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] WeRobot 2021 CFP

[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] WeRobot 2021 CFP

Howard Jay Chizeck
Hope to see you at the tenth year anniversary in Miami!

*https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/call-for-papers/*__;Kg!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W44Fjy9RT$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/call-for-papers/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W46Rys3gz$ >

*Call for Papers*
We invite submissions for the 10th annual robotics law and policy
conference—We Robot 2021—to be held at the University of Miami in Coral
Gables, Florida, USA, on September 23-25, 2021. Currently we are planning
for an in-person event with a virtual option, but this may change subject
to circumstances. Previously, the conference has been held at University of
Miami, University of Washington, Stanford, Yale, and University of Ottawa.
The conference web site is at *https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/*__;Kg!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W404eG0Hg$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W42aGt1ZB$ >.  The *submission portal for poster proposals,
papers, and demos* <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wr21__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W4x8YXxSt$ > opened on
December 14, 2020.  Paper and demo proposals are due by Feb. 1, 2021.
Posters will be accepted on a rolling basis until June 1, 2021.
Marking the *1**0**th** anniversary* of the conference, We Robot 2021 seeks
contributions by North American and international academics, practitioners,
and others, in the form of scholarly papers, technological demonstrations,
or posters. We Robot fosters conversations between the people designing,
building, and deploying robots and the people who design or influence the
legal and social structures in which robots will operate. We *particularly
encourage papers with co-authors from different fields, *e.g.
interdisciplinary collaborations between developers of robotics, artificial
intelligence (AI), and related technology and experts in the humanities,
social science, and law and policy.
This conference will build on a growing body of scholarship exploring how
the increasing sophistication and autonomous decision-making capabilities
of robots and their widespread deployment everywhere from the home, to
hospitals, to public spaces, to the battlefield, disrupts existing legal
regimes or requires rethinking policy issues.
We invite proposals for each of the following:

   - Scholarly papers
   - Demonstrations
   - Poster sessions

*Scholarly Papers*
Topics of interest for the scholarly paper portion of the conference
include, but are not limited to:

   - Comparative international perspectives on the regulation of robotic
   technologies.
   - Assessment of what institutional configurations, if any, would best
   serve to integrate robotics into society responsibly.
   - The impact of artificial intelligence on civil liberties, including
   sexuality, due process, equal protection, privacy, suffrage, and
   procreation.
   - Deployment of autonomous weapons in the military or law enforcement
   contexts.
   - Law and economic perspectives on robotics.
   - Feminist or critical race theory perspectives on robotics.
   - Regulatory and licensing issues raised by robots.
   - Robots in specific sectors, ranging from agriculture to underwater to
   the professions (law, medicine, accounting).
   - Issues of legal or moral responsibility, e.g. relating to autonomous
   robots or robots capable of exhibiting emergent behavior.
   - Effects of robotic adoption on the demand for human labor.
   - Privacy and intellectual property issues relating to robotics.
   - Ethical issues arising from automation.
   - Co-robotics in practice, be it assembly lines, small businesses,
   hospitals, or other contexts where robots and humans work side-by-side.

*Please note that this list is not meant to be exclusive or exhaustive*.
Instead, it suggests potential avenues for inquiry. We encourage other
contributions that engage how law and policy should react to the
development of robots – defined broadly to include AI and cyberphysical
systems. The purpose of this conference is to continue to frame (and report
on) research agendas relating to the deployment of robots in society, to
inform policy-makers of the issues, and to help design legal rules that
will maximize opportunities and minimize risks arising from the increased
deployment of robots in society.
*How to Propose a Paper*
The *conference submission portal*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wr21__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W4x8YXxSt$ > opened Dec. 14, 2020. (Link
will be available from *werobot2021.com* <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W42aGt1ZB$ >.)
Submissions are due by Feb. 1, 2021. Proposers will need to provide:

   1. Title of the proposed paper and an abstract of between 500 and 1000
   words. Submitters are cautioned that proposals that exceed the length limit
   will be rejected unread. We have *posted some general tips and some
   model abstracts*
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/call-for-papers/what-makes-a-great-we-robot-proposal-sample-abstracts/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W41zJBfRW$ >
   serve as suggestive examples. In addition (not counted in the word limit)
   please provide a list of up to 6 key references that you refer to in the
   paper that will help us understand how to situate your paper;
   2. Please do NOT put any names or biographical information in your
   uploaded proposal. However, on a separate sheet, please – again without
   your name(s) or the name(s) of institutions or corporations – list the
   current title of each contributor (e.g. “Ph. D candidate in Mechanical
   Engineering” or “Associate Professor of Anthropology” or “Chief
   Technologist at Robotics Startup”). We are asking for this information
   because in past years we have sometimes struggled to determine whether
   proposers had the experience or disciplinary breadth to deliver on certain
   types of ambitious proposals; purely blind submissions did not, for
   example, allow us to tell if submissions were by one person or a group.

To preserve blind review, we ask that you not ask members of the *program
or review committee* <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/organizers/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W45knCMIr$ > to review draft
abstracts in advance of submission.
*Important Note*
Full text of accepted papers will be due on *Aug. 16, 2021*. This is a hard
deadline because at We Robot *authors do not present their papers* (except
for occasional panel or lightning-round-format presentations). Instead, the
paper will be briefly summarized by a discussant, and we make all papers
available one month before the conference so that the discussant — and all
attendees – can read them. We also invite expressions of interest from
potential discussants. Every paper accepted will be assigned a discussant
who will present and comment on the paper. These presentations will be very
brief (no more than 10 minutes) and will consist mostly of making a few
points critiquing the author’s paper to kick off the conversation. Authors
will then respond briefly (no more than 5 minutes). The rest of the session
will consist of a group discussion with the discussant acting as a
moderator.
We will waive conference fees for all authors of accepted papers if the
full paper is submitted by Aug. 16, 2021.  In addition, subject to funding
availability, we intend to provide for domestic air travel (or, if
necessary, at least partial funding for international air travel), plus
lodging, for one paper presenter provided the full paper is submitted by
the due date.
*Demonstrations*
We invite proposals for demonstrations of interesting new robots and
related technology. Unlike scholarly papers, proposals for demonstrations
may be purely descriptive and designer/builders will be asked to present
their work themselves. We’d like to hear about your latest innovations,
what’s on the drawing board for the next generations of robots, or about
legal and policy issues you have encountered in the design or deploy
process. Please bring your robots if you can!
*How to pitch a demo*. The *conference submission portal*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wr21__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W4x8YXxSt$ > opened Dec. 14, 2020.
Submissions are due by Feb. 1, 2021. Please send a description of what you
have, or are doing, with links to any relevant photos or audio-visual
information, as well as your C.V. or other relevant background. Please be
sure to choose the “Demo ” track for your upload. Please include a brief
description of what facilities and resources your demonstration might
require (e.g., power, internet connection, space).
*Poster Session*
We Robot’s poster session is designed to accommodate late-breaking and
cutting edge projects. This session is ideal for researchers to get
feedback on a work in progress. At least one of the authors of each
accepted poster should plan to be present at the poster during the entire
poster session on the afternoon of Sept. 24, 2021, and for a “lightning
round” of one-minute presentations during the main session. You can bring
the poster or, in some cases, with sufficient lead time we may be able to
print it in Miami for you. If accepted, you will also need to provide a
web-friendly summary of the work that we can post on the conference web
site.
*How to propose a poster session. *Please send an up to 500 word
description of what you have or are doing, with links to any relevant
photos or audio visual information, as well as your C.V. via the *conference
submission portal* <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wr21__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W4x8YXxSt$ >. Please
be sure to choose the “Posters ” track for your upload. Submissions open
Dec. 14, 2020 and are due by *June 1, 2021*. We’ll accept poster proposals
on a rolling basis, meaning that there will be an advantage to submitting
before this date. Remember, at least one author of an accepted poster must
register for the conference to submit the final version.
*We will waive all conference fees for one author of every accepted poster.*

*Summary of Key Dates*

   - *December 14, 2020*. Submission portal for papers, demos, and posters
   opens.
   - *January 8, 2021*. Early Bird Registration begins.
   - *February 1, 2021*. Call for papers and demos closes. All proposals
   submitted by this date will be treated equally.
   - *March 8, 2021*. We aim to have responses to paper and demo proposals
   by this date.
   - *June 1, 2021*. Early bird registration closes.
   - *June 1, 2021*. Call for posters closes, but acceptances may be
   offered on a rolling basis (i.e. it may be beneficial to submit earlier).
   - *August 16, 2021*. Full papers due. They will be posted online at the
   conference web site unless otherwise agreed.
   - *September 23, 2021*. We Robot Workshops, University of Miami, Coral
   Gables, FL, USA.
   - *September 24-25, 2021*. We Robot Conference, University of Miami,
   Coral Gables, FL, USA. (Note – poster session on Sept 24, 2021.)

More information and updates at: *https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/*__;Kg!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W404eG0Hg$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W42aGt1ZB$ >.
We anticipate waiving conference fees, paying reasonable round-trip coach
airfare, and providing two nights hotel accommodation for one presenter per
paper and for all discussants. We will waive all conference fees for all
other authors and for poster presenters; we are currently exploring
scholarship opportunities to help students cover costs of attendance.
(You can download a *pdf version of the We Robot 2021 – Call For Papers,
Demonstrations & Posters*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://werobot2021.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/CFP-FINAL.pdf__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W48_vLq8u$ >.)
PLEASE NOTE: All paper submissions are reviewed blind by the program
committee and the review committee.  To maximize your chances of
acceptance, please do not discuss the substance of your proposal with
any *program
committee members* <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://robots.law.miami.edu/2019/index.php/organizers/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W42GbMGpm$ >
.
© 2020 We Robot 2021. Permission granted to copy for any non-commercial use.

--
Howard Jay Chizeck, Sc.D    (he/him/his)
Professor Emeritus, Electrical  and Computer Engineering

Institute for Neuroengineering
Co-Director, UW BioRobotics Laboratory <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://brl.ee.washington.edu/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W43XP6vSM$ >
Testbed Co-Leader, Center for Neurotechnology (NSF ERC)
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://csne-erc.org/__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!8y7XSppBNzMg5wzT5-qnHqz28fLrB_RcTJnkxlN2SwrVusSye7TWg25wMQsTk86W44h5RumB$ >